LERN engaged the Trauma System Evaluation and Planning Committee (TSEPC) of the American College of Surgeons in the summer of 2009 to conduct a consultative visit. The TSEPC consultation program is the gold standard for independent assessment of trauma systems. The TSEPC consultative visit provided a comprehensive assessment of LERN’s then progress to date in developing all the fundamental elements of trauma system. The final consultation report issued by the TSEPC consultation team also included a specific list of priority recommendations for LERN’s continued development.
Click to download the American College of Surgeons Site Consultation Report.
In response to the 2009 TSEPC recommendations, LERN’s governing board established a list of strategic priorities to guide organizational planning and decision-making. The Board reviews the strategic priorities and updates the list as necessary to accurately reflect the priority tasks of the organization. LERN’s current (2012 to 2015) strategic priorities include the following:
Strengthen the sustainability of LERN’s mission, including state office operations and the development of an ideal statewide network of designated trauma centers.
- Lessen or eliminate LERN’s reliance on state general fund dollars
- Maximize LERN funding from recurring, dedicated source(s)
Build a consensus among key stakeholders for the development of an ideal statewide network of designated trauma centers in Louisiana.
- Leverage LERN’s regional commissions and communications infrastructure
- Leverage Dr. Coscia’s expertise and consulting support
- Strengthen partner relationships – LHA, LSMS, Health Standards/DHH, EMS, ESF-8/DHH, etc.
Develop a statewide system of STEMI care to improve outcomes for Louisiana citizens regardless of where they live in the state. System to include components recommended by LERN’s STEMI Design the System workgroup:
- PCI Hospitals
- Non-PCI Hospitals
Develop a statewide system of stroke care to improve outcomes for Louisiana citizens regardless of where they live in the state. System to include final recommendations from the Stroke Design the System Workgroup relative to:
- Public recognition of stroke symptoms and community education
- Emergency/timely evaluation of all strokes
- EMS transfer protocols to facilitate timely administration of tPA and safe inter-facility transfer
Establish statewide registries, consistent with national standards, for Trauma, Stroke, and STEMI. General purpose of these registries include:
- Facilitation of statewide and regional injury prevention efforts
- Facilitation of LERN performance improvement (Trauma System, Stroke System, and STEMI
System – state level and regional)
Promote LERN as the “information coordinator” for unfolding events in Louisiana on a 24/7 basis.
- Participation in regional activities to integrate LERN into region specific protocols for event management and support
- Serve as the primary coordinating entity for messaging and notifications regarding events and incidents as they occur
- Maximize regional assets by coordinating patient flow/transport
Click for detailed action plans for each of the priorities.
Strategic Plan FY 2012-2016
Click for LERN’s DHH Strategic Plan FY 2012-2016.